Life Style Journey

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

My Favorite Gift

Well, the wrapping paper has been put away. The boxes tossed in recycling. The tree taken down. And, best of all, the kids are back at school. We survived another holiday season! Of course, the kids are still excited and sharing all the details of the fabulous gifts they received. The last two days Bug (my 8 year old son) has come home from school and tells me wondrous tales of who received what for Christmas and how he "needs" it. To which I calmly reply, "Well, your birthday is in 3 months, maybe you can ask for it then." Which in turn gets a reply of "I need it now!" sounding a little bit like Veruca Salt from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
There is one present I'm leaving out this year, hoping that it will remind not only my kids, but also me and my husband, of what Christmas should really be all about. It's a present from Bug that he made in school and it's absolutely one of the best presents I've ever gotten. It's nothing expensive but it's absolutely priceless. It's a beautifully wrapped (for an 8 year old) empty box. There's a card attached with his best 8 year old printing that reads:
I took a little box as empty as can be
Filled it with a special gift and wrapped it carefully.
But please don't ever open it, just leave the ribbon tied
And hold it tightly near you because my love for you is inside.
See what I mean - my favorite gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment